In conditions of a noisy city, not only people but also dogs suffer from hypodynamia. On a normal pedestrian walk, the animal does not get the physical load that is necessary to it by nature, so riding a bicycle with a dog will become a good training of muscles and ligaments for your furry friend. For such walks to be calm and safe, you should pre-prepare and train the dog to run next to the vehicle.
Step 1: Preparing for cycling
Visit a veterinarian
Before you start training, you must visit a veterinarian and make sure that your pet is in good physical shape, does not suffer from obesity, diseases of the musculoskeletal or cardiovascular system. Ask the doctor if this type of activity is suitable for your dog.
- Walking on a bicycle can be harmful to animals that have a large body weight, a heavy skeleton or a short muzzle.
- Such loads are not recommended for dogs with very long hair, which makes it difficult to aerate and cool the body.
- Training should begin no earlier than from the age of eight months, when the pet has already formed the backbone.
Prepare the equipment
Think about fixing the dog to the bike. For these purposes, there are special devices – bicycle sprinklers, which are fastened to the seat.
- If such a device is not available, you can use the usual leash, securing it to the seat or luggage compartment on the right side – so that when riding a dog is between the bike and the roadside. Some cynologists advise not to tie the leash, but to hold in hands so as not to fall off the bike if the dog stops abruptly or decides to run after the cat.
- In addition, it is necessary to prepare a reflective vest for the dog, water for drinking and a small trailer or basket for pet transportation – in case he tires of running after transport.
Step 2: Train the dog to the bike
Choose a place for walks
Before you start walking with a dog on a bicycle, you should pick up a suitable place for training. Preference is given to the route, which has no obstacles, few pedestrians and other cyclists. The best soil will be asphalt, grass or gravel. Avoid traveling on concrete covers and sand tracks.
Introduce the dog to the bike
Many dogs are afraid of bicycles, so you should first introduce the pet to the vehicle.
- Bring an animal to it, give it a sniff and praise for good behavior.
- If the pet is anxious, it is worth putting the transport on the ground, and only then bring him a furry friend.
- Encourage him to caress, toys or treats – the one that he loves most.
- When the dog becomes quiet, you can lift the transport, trying to do it without jerks and sudden movements. If the animal still shows fear, you should again lower the bike and bring the pet to it.
- The main goal is to make the vehicle a comfortable zone for your friend.
- When the task is solved, you can fasten the leash and start training.
Teach the dog to move around
Learning how to ride a bicycle with a dog, start training from a trip in a straight line. For traffic, you should choose an even section of the road with a length of at least 0.5 km.
- Command “Forward” (or “Bike!”) And get off the ground, moving at minimum speed and encouraging the pet for running alongside the bike. If he pulls too far ahead, say “Hush” and slow down the transport. Attempts to move the animal to the side adjust the leash, constantly commanding “Forward” and encouraging him for the successful completion of the task.
- Once the animal learns to move smoothly next to the transport, you can increase the pace of the trip.
- When the animal lags behind the two-wheeled transport, it is necessary to pull it up with a leash, adjusting the necessary position next.
Practice stopping traffic
The first stop is made after crossing no less than 0.3 km of the way. You can go and a longer distance, so that the dog realized your basic requirement – to move next to the transport.
- To train the animal to stop, you should give the command “Stand”. At the same time, slightly slow down the bicycle and do not remove the hand from the brake until the pet completely stops.
- After that, without getting off the seat, kick your feet into the ground and praise the dog. Repeat the words “Stop, well!”, Give a treat. If the animal tries to move on independently, correct the leash in such a way that your hairy friend is standing next to the transport.
Teach the dog to move after stopping the bike
Continuing with the introduction of how to accustom a dog to a bicycle, master the basic rules of further movement after a stop.
- To do this, sit on the seat, slightly loose the leash – so that it does not stop the animal from continuing its run, and then push the foot off the ground and give the pet a command “Forward”.
- During the training, it is necessary to combine trips and stops. The dog should enjoy the walk, but do not get tired at the same time. However, it is undesirable to restrain her too much, since you can discourage a run alongside the bicycle.
- By teaching the animal to stop, you can move on to learning the turns right and left.
Practice turning technique left
- Turning training begins with your walking around next to the bike. Take the dog to the transport and with a slightly stretched leash, give the command “Left!”.
- Turn the steering wheel to the left with your left hand, and pull the pet to the left with the leash. Make sure that it follows the front wheel of the vehicle.
- If the animal obediently performs the command, praise it with the words “Good.”
- Try not to make sudden movements – you should turn smoothly and slowly.
Teach the dog to turn right
Learning how to ride with a dog on a bicycle with a left turn and start learning to turn right. As in the first case, the animal should be next to the vehicle (on the right side). The bicycle should be held with the left hand, and in the right one take a slightly taut leash.
- Slightly lower your arm, bend at the elbow and command “Right!”. Using a leash, give the pet a direction on the right side. As soon as it begins to unfold, with your left hand, turn the steering wheel to the right.
- Encourage the dog with the word “Good”. If it does not perform the command well, you can slightly push it with the wheel on the left shoulder. Try to do this very carefully – so as not to injure or frighten the animal.
- When the turns on foot are well worked out, and the dog will perform them unmistakably, it is possible to start their development while driving at low speed.
Stage 3: Walking with a dog on a bicycle
Watch the dog
Finding out how to teach a dog to run alongside a bicycle, you can start regular walks.
- Try not to feed the animal before the trip. In a pinch, you can give some food a few hours before the day, and thoroughly feed only 20-30 minutes after returning home.
- Do not ride the dog in the heat. Regardless of the weather, you need to monitor the condition of the pet, learning to recognize the signs of fatigue. If his breathing is difficult, the tongue hangs on his side, he lags behind the bicycle, then it is necessary to stop the walk.
- Control the likelihood of a heat stroke. Its main signs are uneven or rapid heartbeat, excessive salivation, trembling, nausea, loss of consciousness, the appearance of foam on the mouth. If you notice such manifestations, go with the dog in the shade, give a drink and moisten the body with cool water. Avoid watering the animal too coldly – this can be dangerous for his health.
- Check the condition of the pads on the paws. When traveling on asphalt or running at too high a speed, they are can be erased and injured. It is recommended to use a special dog’s footwear or to stop every 2-3 km and check the paws.
Keep track of the traffic
The speed and duration of walks are chosen individually. To develop jogging skills next to the bike, do not forget to praise the animal and encourage it with refreshments.
- Start with short trips, gradually increasing the intensity. To begin with, it’s enough to spend a few minutes walking. Do not let the dog into a gallop – trotting is more preferable.
- With a puppy it is better to arrange small walks, and from about 1.5 years you can overcome 3-4 km, but not in the heat and with stops for rest. In any case, choose the distance and speed based on the characteristics of the pet.
This kind of activity is good in all senses. If you patiently and gradually master riding a bicycle with a dog, then in due course you can achieve excellent results and get pleasure from walking with the pet.